Online Certificate in Medical Transcription
The Online Medical Transcription Certificate Program at Thomas Edison State College is a comprehensive, one-year program of independent study offered in collaboration with Pro Train LLC and designed by leading experts in the field of medical transcription. This noncredit certificate places a strong focus on the core subjects of medical transcription and how to use the training in ‘real world' settings - be it a hospital, clinic, physician's office, medical laboratory, insurance firm, etc., or as a freelance consultant.
Medical Transcription is an "In Demand" profession that allows individuals with no prior training to get a head-start in an exciting allied health career. Our Medical Transcription course creates a simulation approach to medical transcription that provides students with a working knowledge of the medical reports most commonly used in both inpatient and outpatient care settings. During the course, students get to transcribe 100's of real medical reports.
The course is organized by body systems and includes full color anatomy and physiology illustrations. We also provide students with the proper formatting, grammar, and style in accordance with AHDI. Transcription reports include: history and physical examinations; consults; operative, pathology, and radiology reports; SOAP notes; and death and discharge summaries. Transcription materials and equipment are all included in the tuition.
Common medical terminology is a critical part of the language used by health care practitioners. It is essentially a vocabulary that requires a uniform pronunciation, definition, and spelling of terms used by professionals. Individuals with medical terminology training are capable of analyzing and interpreting medical reports related to specific body systems.
This program is appropriate for adults looking to learn new job skills, refresh or refine existing healthcare knowledge, or improve occupational performance by possessing a better understanding of medical terms. This course discusses word construction and meanings that together characterize medical language.
Upon successful completion of the Online Medical Transcription Certificate Program,, students will be prepared to sit for the AHDI national certification exam to become a Registered Medical Transcriptionist (RMT).
Why Online Learning?
- Learning occurs in a user-friendly environment and is accessible to students with little or no computer experience
- Online courses provide the knowledge and tools needed to stay ahead in today's rapidly changing professional marketplace
- Online education allows students to access their courses from anywhere there is an Internet connection, even while traveling for business or on vacation
- Flexibility: Students can attend class in the comfort and convenience of their own home, office, library, or Internet café, and complete assignments at their convenience
- Cost-effective: expenses related to facilities and travel, as well as non-productive time, are reduced
- Relevant: Since so much of the work done by medical transcriptionists is conducted in an online environment, this method of study is highly relevant to the profession.
The online delivery of the program requires that students have access to a computer and are proficient at using e-mail, communicating online, participating in discussion groups and conducting online research. The online format ensures that students have the most current information in the field available to them as they learn the skills needed to succeed in today's increasingly specialized medical transcription profession.