Online Certificate in Medical Transcription Editing
The Online Medical Transcription Editor Certificate Program at Thomas Edison State College is a comprehensive, one-year, 420-hour program of independent study offered in collaboration with ProTrain LLC and designed by leading experts in the field of medical transcription. This noncredit certificate program places a strong focus on the core subjects of medical transcription editing and how to use the training in ‘real world’ settings - be it a hospital, clinic, physician’s office, medical laboratory, insurance firm, etc., or as a freelance consultant. Students interested in both general medical transcription and medical transcription editing may take this program.
Medical Transcription is an "In Demand" profession that provides individuals with the opportunity to start an exciting new career in Allied Health with absolutely no pre-requisites. By learning a simple method of editing used by professional proofreaders that students can apply to any document, the program enables students to master the editing skills needed to produce documents that are error-free. Students learn to proofread comparatively and get tips for checking documents with numbers, while also brushing up their knowledge of grammar and mechanics and learning how to get the most out of their word processor’s spelling and grammar checkers. As in many organizations, students learn to proofread in teams.
The course is organized by body systems and includes full color anatomy and physiology illustrations. We also provide guidance on proper formatting, grammar, and style in accordance with AHDI. Transcription reports include: history and physical examinations; consults; operative, pathology, and radiology reports; SOAP notes; and death and discharge summaries. Transcription materials and equipment are all included.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Transcription Editing Program, students will be prepared for an entry-level position doing medical transcription and/or medical transcription editing. Additionally, they will be prepared to sit for the AHDI national certification exam to become a Registered Medical Transcriptionist (RMT).
Why Online Learning?
- Learning occurs in a user-friendly environment and is accessible to students with little or no computer experience
- Online courses provide the knowledge and tools needed to stay ahead in today's rapidly changing professional marketplace
- Online education allows students to access their courses from anywhere there is an Internet connection, even while traveling for business or on vacation
- Flexibility: Students can attend class in the comfort and convenience of their own home, office, library, or internet café, and complete assignments at their convenience
- Cost-effective: expenses related to facilities and travel, as well as non-productive time, are reduced
- Relevant: Since so much of the work done by medical transcription editors is conducted in an online environment, this method of study is highly relevant to the profession.
The online delivery of the program requires that students have access to a computer and are proficient at using e-mail, communicating online, participating in discussion groups and conducting online research. The online format ensures that students have the most current information in the field available to them as they learn the skills needed to succeed in today's increasingly specialized medical transcription editor profession.