Online Certificate in Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
Medical Billing is listed as one of the fastest growing professions in allied health. Throughout the country, the medical industry is experiencing a tremendous demand for individuals with knowledge of medical office operations, which includes diagnostic and procedural insurance forms processing. The 680 Hours – One Year Online Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Certificate Program is appropriate for adults looking to learn new job skills, refresh or refine existing healthcare knowledge, or improve occupational performance by possessing a better understanding of medical terms.
The medical billing process is an interaction between a health care provider (physician, hospital, rehabilitation center, etc.) and the payer (insurance company, government agency, employer, etc.). This interaction, known as the billing cycle, can take anywhere from several days to several months to complete, and often requires several communications before a resolution is reached.
The Online Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Certificate Program is a practical and relevant guide for the modern health care environment. It provides an overview of CPT and ICD-9-CM coding, and addresses coding issues within specific coding content areas. The program takes students through all the steps necessary to code a claim correctly and link the correct codes for reimbursement for insurance carriers and government entities, as well as explains adjustments and how and when to bill patients. Students also learn about managed health care, legal and regulatory issues, coding systems, reimbursement methods, coding for medical necessity, common health insurance plans, even what to do in cases of denial or rejection. Moreover, the program is designed to provide students with the skills needed to be competitive in the healthcare market place, the relevant credential (through certification) to gain the interest of prospective employers.
Why Online Learning?
- Learning occurs in a user-friendly environment and is accessible to students with little or no computer experience
- Online courses provide the knowledge and tools needed to stay ahead in today's rapidly changing professional marketplace
- Online education allows students to access their courses from anywhere there is an Internet connection, even while traveling for business or on vacation
- Flexibility: Students can attend class in the comfort and convenience of their own home, office, library, or internet café, and complete assignments at their convenience
- Cost-effective: expenses related to facilities and travel, as well as non-productive time, are reduced
- Relevance: As the medical coding and billing process relies so heavily on technology, the online delivery format of this program is completely relevant to ‘real-world' professional practice.
The online delivery of the program requires that students have access to a computer and are proficient at using e-mail, communicating online, participating in discussion groups and conducting online research. On the plus side, the online format ensures that students have the most current information in the field available to them as they learn the skills needed to succeed in today's increasingly specialized medical coding and billing profession.