Determining New Jersey Residency

Determining New Jersey Residency for In-State Tuition Purposes

Thomas Edison State College determines residency pursuant to New Jersey Administrative Code 9A:5-1.1-1.2, which requires students to live in New Jersey for at least twelve months prior to enrollment in the College to be eligible for in-state tuition. Active U.S. military personnel and their dependents who attend Thomas Edison State College will be granted in-state rates regardless of their residency.

The Office of the Registrar is the College’s principle authority on residency determination for tuition purposes.

If you are undocumented and wish to apply for in-state tuition status under the New Jersey Dream Act, please complete the Request for Exemption from Out-of-State Tuition Application and Affidavit.

Students who are classified as non-residents may petition for in-state residency to the Office of the Registrar. This is done by submitting an Application for State Residency Status, along with supporting documentation to:

Office of the Registrar
Thomas Edison State College
101 W. State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608-1176

Examples of supporting documentation include:
  • Current New Jersey Motor vehicle license indicating local address
  • Current New Jersey registration indicating local state address
  • New Jersey Voter registration card
  • Notarized copy of marriage certificate (spouse)
  • Lease or copy of deed
  • Permanent resident card
  • Active Duty Military ID

Students will be notified of their residency reclassification request within ten business days of receipt of documentation. If student qualifies for the resident tuition rate, change will be applied to the subsequent year’s enrollment. Appeals would follow the College’s administrative appeal process.