Robert Sydney Needham Memorial Scholarship
The Thomas Edison State College Foundation established the Robert Sydney Needham Memorial Scholarship in 2010 through a grant from the Robert Sydney Needham Foundation. A $10,000.00 scholarship is expected to be awarded in the 2012 Award year to a full-time, currently enrolled, sophomore, junior, or senior student who is actively involved in community service and demonstrates great financial need. While the College does not typically categorize students as sophomores, juniors and seniors, applicants will need to have at least 31 credits to be eligible for the award.
For more information on determining whether you are eligible for this scholarship, contact the Office of Admissions at [email protected] or (888) 442-8372.
General Eligibility Criteria
- Submit a Thomas Edison State College Scholarship Application.
- Have applied for federal and State (NJ residents only) financial aid through the FAFSA and the Thomas Edison State College Financial Aid Application.
- Meet the scholarship's Specific Eligibility Criteria described below.
- Required supplemental documentation, if any, must be provided before the end of the application period.
- Have at least a 3.0 Thomas Edison State College GPA at the time of application.
- Have completed a minimum of 12 Thomas Edison State College credits, with at least six hours being from Online or Guided Study courses.
- Have successfully completed a minimum of 66 percent of courses attempted at Thomas Edison State College. Incompletes, withdrawals, and failed classes do not count as completed credits.
Specific Eligibility Criteria
- Applicant must be a graduate of a New Jersey high school, but does not have to be living in New Jersey. Having earned a GED does not qualify for this scholarship.
- Applicant must have earned a minimum of 31 hours of college-level credit.
- Applicant must be actively involved in community service and show great financial need. These requirements are to be described in the essay submitted as part of the scholarship application
In addition to a fully completed application, the applicant must:
- Submit a copy of the applicant's New Jersey high school diploma
- Financial need will be based on the applicant's Pell Grant eligibility as documented on the applicant's FAFSA and as described in the application essay.
- Submit documentation by fax, mail, or email to:
Office of Financial Aid
Thomas Edison State College
101 West State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608-1176
Fax: (609) 633-6489
Email: [email protected]
Scholarship Funds Uses
The scholarship can be used for tuition, fees, or books for Thomas Edison State College courses.
2013 Award Year Application Period
The 2013 Scholarship Application Period will open June 1st.
The online scholarship application link will be available on this page at that time. Should you have questions about our scholarships, please email the Scholarship Committee.