American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Local 4277 Scholarship
The Thomas Edison State College Foundation established the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Local 4277 Scholarship in 2013 funded by matching grants from the AFT Local 4277 (American Federation of Teachers) Thomas Edison State College and its senior organization, the Council of New Jersey State College Locals, AFT/AFL-CIO. AFT Local 4277 is comprised of the professional staff employees of Thomas Edison State College. Conditional on available funds, this scholarship is awarded to New Jersey residents who are active union members and currently enrolled in or seeking enrollment in a graduate program at Thomas Edison State College.
For more information on determining whether you are eligible for this scholarship, contact the College Scholarship Committee at [email protected] or (888) 442-8372.
General Eligibility Criteria
- Submit a Thomas Edison State College Scholarship Application.
- Have applied for federal and State (NJ residents only) financial aid through the FAFSA and the Thomas Edison State College Financial Aid Application.
- Meet the scholarship's Specific Eligibility Criteria described below.
- Required supplemental documentation, if any, must be provided before the end of the application period.
The following three criteria, GPA, minimum credits completed, and minimum percentage completed must be met by currently enrolled applicants but may be waived for students who have applied for but not yet been admitted to a graduate program.
- Have at least a 3.0 Thomas Edison State College GPA at the time of application.
- Have completed a minimum of 12 Thomas Edison State College credits, with at least six hours being from Online or Guided Study courses.
- Have successfully completed a minimum of 66 percent of courses attempted at Thomas Edison State College. Incompletes, withdrawals, and failed classes do not count as completed credits.
Scholarship Specific Eligibility Criteria
- Applicant must be a resident of the State of New Jersey.
- Applicant must be an active member of a professional or trade union located in the State of New Jersey.
- Applicant must be currently enrolled in or seeking enrollment (by submitting an application for admission) to a graduate program at Thomas Edison State College at the time of their scholarship application.
Supplemental Documentation Required
In addition to a fully completed application, the applicant must:
- Submit a copy of the applicant's current New Jersey Driver's License, Voter Registration Card, or other suitable documentation verifying New Jersey residency.
- Submit a copy of the applicant's union membership card verifying active union membership in a New Jersey based union.
Submit supplemental documentation by fax, mail, or email to:
Office of Financial Aid
Thomas Edison State College
101 West State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608-1176
Fax: (609) 633-6489
Email: [email protected]
Scholarship Funds Uses
Scholarship funds may only be used for tuition, fees, or books for Thomas Edison State College courses.
When Can I Apply For Scholarships?
The next opportunity to apply for scholarships from Thomas Edison State College is when the 2014 Award Year Application Period opens on June 1, 2014.
The online scholarship application will be available on this page at that time. Should you have questions about our scholarships, please email the Scholarship Committee.
Please view the links to Outside Scholarships for other opportunities.