Nursing Informatics Certificate Program
The Nursing Informatics Certificate Program is designed for experienced RNs with a master’s in nursing in another area of nursing specialty who want to develop the knowledge and skills needed to practice as a Nursing Informatics Specialist in healthcare settings. The program includes four theory courses and two practicums for a total of 18 credits. The student will select a healthcare setting and preceptor for the practicums. The same facility will be used as the setting for both practicums.
On completion of the Nursing Informatics Certificate Program the graduate will be able to meet the following competencies:
- integrate knowledge, skills, and scientific findings from nursing science, computer science, information science, and cognitive science in the professional practice of nursing informatics
- analyze the concepts of, and relationships between data, information, knowledge and wisdom and identify the implications of these concepts/relationships for nursing practice
- demonstrate leadership in the professional practice of nursing informatics through the use of effective communication, interdisciplinary collaboration, and administrative skills
- participate at each stage within the health information systems life cycle as a leader and team member
- promote the use of healthcare informatics-related education for consumers and healthcare providers
- integrate legal, ethical, regulatory, technical, and professional standards into the development and implementation of healthcare related information systems
- Use research, evidence based practice, quality improvement, and safety methodologies in the evaluation and improvement of health care information systems
- advance nursing informatics professional practice and values
|Nursing Informatics: Concepts & Issues (NUR-531)*||3|
|Nursing Informatics: Databases & Knowledge Management (NUR-701)||3|
|Nursing Informatics: Systems Life Cycle (NUR-631)||3|
|Nursing Informatics: Consumer Informatics & Communications Technologies (NUR-711)||3|
|Nursing Informatics: Seminar & Practicum I (NUR-721)**||3|
|Nursing Informatics: Seminar & Practicum II (NUR-731)**||3|
* If completed as part of degree requirements for the BSN or MSN at Thomas Edison State College, this course will not be required for certificate completion.
**Note: Completion of 120 on-ground, supervised hours is required in each Practicum course. Application for Practicum placement submitted six months in advance. The Practicums must be taken consecutively at the same facility.