How to Get Started
Master of Arts in Educational Leadership Application Requirements
- All applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university; official copies of all undergraduate transcripts (and graduate transcripts, if applicable) must be submitted
- All applicants must have a minimum of three years teaching or educational services experience
- All applicants must submit a current resume
- All applicants must provide two letters of recommendation, one from the current superintendent, principal, assistant principal or supervisor who will serve as his/her school leader
- All applicants must complete a Statement of Objectives that includes the applicant's purpose for attaining this degree and the applicant's professional goals as an educational leader (all essays are evaluated critically and used to assess a student's ability to succeed in and benefit from a graduate program)
- All applicants must submit a copy of their current teaching, educational services or administrative certificate
- All applicants must currently be working in a K-12 setting
Admission is competitive and based on a qualitative review of a prospective student's application. Admission is based on:
- A qualitative evaluation of the applicant's undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) educational work from a regionally accredited college or university. An undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75 and a graduate GPA of at least 3.0 is recommended to be successful in the program.
- A qualitative assessment of the applicant's statement of objectives and two letters of reference.
- Relevance of work experience and career objectives to the program objectives.
- A minimum of three years teaching or educational services experience is required.
Requirements for Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership
- All applicants must have a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- All applicants must have a minimum of three years teaching or educational services experience with appropriate certificate
- All applicants must be currently working in a K-12 setting
- All applicants must submit one letter of recommendation from a current superintendent, principal, assistant principal or supervisor who will served as his/her school leader.
- All applicants must submit a Statement of Background and Goals that includes the purpose for attaining this certificate and professional goals as an educational leader (all essays are evaluated critically and used to asses the student’s ability to succeed in and benefit from a graduate certificate)
Prerequisites for Admission to Educational Leadership Programs
- Competency in written expression and presentation skills
- Access to and ability to use the Internet
- Applicants whose primary language is not English and who have not received their undergraduate degree from a U.S. college or university must demonstrate proficiency in written and spoken English as indicated by a TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language) score of 550 (on the written version), 213 (on the computer version), or 79 (on the Internet-based version).
- GMAT or GRE scores are NOT required for admission. Students are encouraged to submit test scores if they have taken the examinations.
Sending Transcripts & Other Documents:
Official transcripts and documentation of all an applicant’s past college credits, professional and/or military training and other experiences, should be sent to:
ATTN: Graduate Studies
The Office of Admissions
Thomas Edison State College
101 W. State St.
Trenton, NJ 08608-1176
Regarding transcripts, please note:
- Transcripts should be sent directly to Thomas Edison State College from the institution(s) an applicant has attended.
- Transcripts sent to Thomas Edison State College that have been sent first to an applicant from the institution(s) they attended must arrive at Thomas Edison State College in the unopened, sealed envelope from the institution (or institutions) they attended. Applicants may not open their transcripts. Transcripts that arrive at Thomas Edison State College in opened envelopes are not valid and must be resubmitted.
- Applicants with undergraduate degrees from international, non-regionally accredited institutions must submit a course-by-course evaluation from an agency approved by Thomas Edison State College. The College will accept credit recommendations from a required course-by-course evaluation completed by any of the following agencies:
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
World Educational Services, Inc. (WES)
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Educational Perspectives, nfp. (EP)
P.O. Box 618056
Chicago, IL 60661-8056
All costs associated with the international credit evaluation are the responsibility of the student. The College reserves the right to make its own determination on the amount and type of credit to be awarded based on the evaluations provide by these agencies. An enrolled student may transfer a maximum of 90 credits from international institutions. Thomas Edison State College does not participate in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Therefore the College does not sponsor foreign national students for F-1 or J-1 visa status. Course-by-course credit recommendations will be reviewed by Thomas Edison State College based upon existing transfer and degree policies in place at the time of application.
Key Application Dates
Use the dates and deadlines below to organize your application activity. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. To ensure consideration for the start date of your choice, your application should be received by the deadline listed. Applying well in advance of the application deadline is strongly recommended. Class size is limited and admission is competitive.
To begin in October, apply by August 15
To begin in January, apply by November 15
To begin in April, apply by February 15
To begin in July, apply by May 15
Create an Account to Apply Today
Admissions Video Guide
Test Drive an Online Course
Interested in trying out an online course?
Graduate Admission Deadlines
To start January 1st:
Apply by November 15th
To start April 1st:
Apply by February 15th
To start July 1st:
Apply by May 15th
To start October 1st:
Apply by August 15th
Graduate Business Admission Deadlines
To start January 1st:
Apply by December 12th
To start May 1st:
Apply by April 17th
To start September 1st:
Apply by August 15th