Programs for Veterans & Their Families
The Veteran Education Program at Thomas Edison State College accommodates the needs of veterans and their spouses and dependents. The program is defined by a personal Academic Program Plan where military training, previous college credits and other professional training can be applied towards a degree. Students can utilize the various Chapters of the GI Bill® to pay for tuition and there are also Military related scholarships to assist in tuition payment.
The College recently launched the Per Credit Tuition Plan (PCTP) which enables degree seeking students to register and pay for undergraduate course tuition on a per credit basis. Veterans using the Post 9/11 GI Bill will be utilizing this Credit Tuition Plan which can:
- Reduce higher upfront costs
- Allow a more cost effective method for degree-seeking students taking a lesser number of credits in a year
- Enables students to register and pay for course tuition after they apply and are accepted into a degree program
- Allows students to register for courses immediately and become enrolled 10 days into the first term
- Streamlines the processing of VA educational benefits
*Whether or not a student will have out-of-pocket costs depends on which chapter of the GI bill. Some chapters pay the education benefit directly to the veteran, while others pay the education benefit directly to the school. More detailed questions should be directed to the VA for the most accurate answer concerning specific benefits.
Students utilizing GI Bill and VA Benefits are approved for Guided Study (GS) courses, Online (OL) courses, and TECEP exams only. e-Pack and Portfolio Assessment are prohibited per VA regulations. Students wishing to take delivery options other than GS, OL and TECEP must pay out of pocket at the time of registration for those course options.
How to utilize your GI Bill Benefits at Thomas Edison State College in 5 easy steps!
Go to VONAPP
- If you have never applied for benefits you must complete the online application at the VONAPP site
- If you have previously been approved but are changing schools to Thomas Edison State College you must login to the VONAPP site and complete a DD-22-1995 (Change of Place of Training) to use GI Bill Benefits at Thomas Edison State College
- Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) continue with the process below.
- Alternatively you may, in place of a CoE, submit a screen shot from your eBenefits “Educational Enrollment Status” page including the “Entitlement Information” screen or W.A.V.E and continue with the process below.
*Please note that the VA does NOT send the CoE to Thomas Edison State College, you as the student must do this.
Apply to Thomas Edison State College
- If you are a current student or have been actively taking courses with Thomas Edison State College you do not need to complete this step
- Active Duty, Reservist and National Guard members apply through the GoArmyEd portal*
- Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard students apply directly to the College
Complete the Thomas Edison State College Application for Financial Aid and the FAFSA
- All Veteran students are strongly advised complete the TESC Application for Financial Aid to supplement any expense that Military Benefits do not cover
All Veteran students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA)
*The Thomas Edison State College school code is 011648
Complete the Thomas Edison State College Veteran Benefit Information Sheet (VBIS)
- This is an electronic form and will only be processed if you submit it with your CoE.
- If you are an out of state student NOT in the military please fill out the Yellow Ribbon Program form on the left side of this page.
- Register for Classes*
*Out-of-pocket tuition and fees which are not covered under the Post 9/11 GI Bill may apply to out-of-state students who are separated from service and are utilizing veteran benefits. These out-of-pocket costs can be subsidized by the Yellow Ribbon Program; however enrollment is limited. View more Yellow Ribbon information.
*Students registering for courses AFTER the regular registration period are advised that Book Stipend and BAH payments (where applicable), will not be processed by the VA until after the College add/drop period. Students are strongly encouraged to register the first week of regular registration to ensure timely VA payments.
Financial Aid Shopping Sheet
Thomas Edison State College provides two versions of the Financial Aid Shopping Sheet (FASS). The FASS is designed to help you estimate the cost of attending Thomas Edison State College during the current Academic Year, and identify potential sources of financial aid so you can easily compare Thomas Edison State College with other institutions and make an informed decision about where to attend school. This tool is provided as part of Thomas Edison State College’s commitment to the Principles of Excellence under Presidential Executive Order 13607.
The first version of the Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is available to any prospective, applicant, or enrolled student. A second version is available to currently enrolled students via your Online Student Services account and will display detailed financial aid information if you have been awarded such.
Military & Veteran Education Support