Post-9/11 GI Bill & NJNGTP
The State of New Jersey has received a federal legislative waiver from the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010. This means that in addition to grants and scholarships, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits must also be used towards tuition before a waiver can be applied.
Post-9/11 GI Bill under NJNGTP
Does not apply:
- If you have transferred the entirety of your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to an eligible dependent.
- If you have exhausted your GI Bill and no longer qualify for VA benefits.
- If you are currently active under or eligible for a different VA chapter.
- If you are currently active under or eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) and have NOT transferred the entirety of your benefits to an eligible dependent, and do NOT qualify for a different VA chapter benefit.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I only transferred part of my benefits (e.g., a few months) to my family?
Only the portion still in your name will be applied until the benefit is exhausted. Once the benefit has been exhausted, we can then apply the waiver under the NJNGTP (pending a successful yearly audit).
What if I do not qualify for 100% benefit under the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Thomas Edison State College will certify the appropriate percentage under Post-9/11 GI Bill and waive the remainder of the tuition. Example: if you only qualify for 60%, we would certify your registration for 60% of the tuition and then waive the remaining 40% under the NJNGTP.
It is important to note that the yearly NJNGTP requirements must be met for the waiver to be applied.
Do I still have to go through the NJNGTP yearly audit process if my Post-9/11 GI Bill benefit is 100%?
No. Only those students whose benefit is less than 100% would have to complete the yearly NJNGTP audit to ensure eligibility under the waiver program. This also means that unlike the tuition waiver, you can use your Online Student Services to register for courses, as the waiver no longer applies.
I'm active in another chapter, but I am eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill; am I required to switch chapters?
No. You are under no obligation to switch to Post-9/11 GI Bill if you are currently active under or qualify for an older or different chapter. However, if you exhaust your current benefits while using the NJNGTP waiver, we will be required to apply Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits before applying the waiver.
How do I provide verification of VA eligibility?
The NJNGTP registration package contains the Veteran's Benefit Information Sheet (VBIS), which contains VA-specific information. Once submitted and depending on your chapter, we may ask for additional information, such as a VA Certificate of Eligibility.
Why isn't "National Guard Tuition Waiver" an option on the Veterans Benefit Information Sheet?
The NJNGTP is not a VA program; therefore, you must select a valid VA chapter in order for Thomas Edison State College to appropriately update your information. If you do not qualify, have transferred, or have exhausted your benefits, simply state as such on the VBIS.
One of the Top Military-Friendly Institutions in the U.S.
Military & Veteran Education Support Center