Admission Requirements for Military Members, Military Family Members and DoD Personnel
We are pleased that you are applying to the College for an associate's or bachelor's degree program.
You are eligible to become an undergraduate student at Thomas Edison State College if you are:
- An adult 21 years of age or older (unless you are participating in a special college program; e.g. DoD affiliation)
- A high school graduate or have successfully passed a General Educational Development (GED) test
Individuals not meeting this criteria, but who feel they warrant special consideration for other reasons, may petition the director of Admissions and present appropriate documentation to support their being accepted to the College. Students admitted through special consideration are subject to the same academic policies and requirements as those admitted unconditionally.
You do not need to worry about application deadlines. The College offers 12 terms during the year.
Congratulations on the decision to apply!
General Admission Requirements
- Complete an online application for admission to the College. Once the application is submitted, you will receive an email confirming receipt. This email will include a link for you to pay the $75 nonrefundable application fee. Army, National Guard, and Army Reserve members must complete the Common Application in the GoArmyEd portal instead of the Thomas Edison State College application.
Arrange for all official transcripts (military training, college courses completed, passing scores on CLEP/DSST exams) to be mailed to:
Office of the RegistrarThe College will also accept transcripts sent directly from a military education office. Your credentials will be reviewed upon receipt of your application, payment, and academic records.
Thomas Edison State College
101 W. State St.
Trenton, NJ 08606-1176
After you receive your Academic Program Evaluation, you are urged to contact the Advisement Center at (609) 292-2803 to make a telephone appointment for program planning.
To participate in the Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP), service members must complete at least 24 credits towards a bachelor's degree and at least 12 credits towards an associate's degree at Thomas Edison State College. As a Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP) degree candidate, you are considered enrolled for the purpose of advisement and program planning. (Register for courses that will complete your degree requirements.)
Once you receive your Academic Program Evaluation you are urged to contact the Advisement Center at (609) 292-2803 to make a telephone appointment for program planning.
- If you are interested in Tuition Assistance, please see your TA counselor at the Education Center on base to proceed through the TA process and register for a course. You may fax the approved TA voucher to (609) 984-7143 or scan and send to email@example.com.
Military students, military family members, and DoD personnel enrolled in Thomas Edison State College through contractual and military agreements [i.e., GoArmyEd, Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP), Navy College Program, must demonstrate academic activity by attempting a minimum of 3 semester hour credits over the course of the 12-month period for which they are enrolled.
For example, a student whose course or other credit earning option began on Sept. 1, 2010, must register for another 3-credit course before Sept. 1, 2011, to be considered an enrolled Thomas Edison State College student for the following year. Students who do not attempt 3 credits in an academic year will be deemed "Inactive".
An "Inactive" military student may receive the following College services:
- Register for classes online. Military students will pay the current tuition rate of their respective contract.
- View grades and current financial aid award status.
- Submit changes to mailing or email addresses.
- Receive academic advising for only current or potential Thomas Edison State College degree programs.
Evaluation updates, review of new transcripts, degree program changes and access to myEdison® account will not be available. "Inactive" students (those who were previously enrolled in the College but who have not demonstrated academic progress as described above) can reactivate their enrollment by registering for a minimum of 3 semester hours in a course or other credit-earning option. Students will be governed by the academic policies in place at the time they began their program.
Military students with a valid Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) agreement with Thomas Edison State College, and who remain in "Inactive" status for five consecutive years, must reapply for admission to return to the College and will be governed by the academic policies and degree programs in place at the time of their readmission.
One of the Top Military-Friendly Institutions in the U.S.
Military & Veteran Education Support