Transfer Credit 

Thomas Edison State College will accept credit in transfer for courses completed at colleges and universities accredited by the six regional accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. In addition, the College offers a host of ways to earn credit for knowledge obtained in noncollegiate settings.

Examples include:

  • Courses and examinations approved through the National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS) and the American Council on Education (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service. The limit of National CCRS and ACE credits from a single source is 90 credits for a bachelor's degree and 45 credits for an associates degree.
  • Military service schools as recommended by the American Council on Education. Learn more.
  • Licenses, certifications and programs of study approved by the Thomas Edison State College Academic Council. Learn more.
  • Credit recommendations from a required course-by-course international credit evaluation completed by one of the following agencies:  Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI); Center for Applied Research, Evaluations & Education, Inc.; Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE); World Educational Services, Inc. (WES); SDR Educational Consultants; SpanTran Evaluation Services; and Transcript Research.  Learn more.
  • Thomas Edison State College may accept in direct transfer college-level credits earned at institutions accredited by national accreditation associations that have developed formal articulation agreements with Thomas Edison State College. Articulation agreements are posted at as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
  • College-level skills and knowledge acquired outside the classroom or through courses from non-accredited institutions or institutions not reviewed by one of the aforementioned organizations may be validated through a variety of methods or testing options and/or through the Center for the Assessment of Learning at Thomas Edison State College.

Thomas Edison State College is covered by, and will strive to adhere to, the tenants of the Comprehensive Statewide Transfer Agreement adopted by New Jersey President’s Council on Sept. 22, 2008. Students who wish more specific information concerning the transfer of credit should contact the College at ; Attention: Director of Transfer Evaluations.

If your credits were earned on a quarter system, the following conversion applies:

  • 2 quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours
  • 3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours
  • 4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours
  • 5 quarter hours = 3.33 semester hours

Articulation Agreements
Thomas Edison State College has entered into articulation agreements with many colleges and universities. An articulation agreement is a formal agreement or partnership between Thomas Edison State College and another institution of higher education. These articulation agreements determine which courses will transfer for degree credit or fulfill Thomas Edison State College course equivalencies.

Details on the terms of any Thomas Edison State College’s current or historical articulation agreements should be referred to the Office of the Registrar at

Thomas Edison State College maintains specialized articulation agreements with the following institutions:

  • Atlantic Cape Community College, N.J.
  • Camden County College, NJ..
  • Essex County College, NJ..
  • Gloucester County College, N.J.
  • Helen Fuld School of Nursing/Camden County College, N.J.
  • Passaic County College, NJ..
  • Salem Community College, N.J.

Thomas Edison State College also participates in the New Jersey Statewide Transfer Agreement. This agreement provides a statewide transfer agreement process to determine the transferability of courses to participating New Jersey colleges and universities. Participating institutions are listed at

Awarding Credit for College Courses Taught
Thomas Edison State College recognizes that teaching a course at the college or university level requires the mastery of the material being taught. Therefore, if the courses have been taught at the university or college level within five years of the student’s enrollment in the College, a credit award up to the equivalent of the same or similar course offered by Thomas Edison State College will be made.

If no equivalent course is offered by Thomas Edison State College, a credit award up to 3 semester credits may be awarded. Courses must have been taught for credit at a regionally accredited institution of higher education and accepted for credit at that institution, or the courses must be taught at an institution where the courses have been reviewed and recommended for college credit by the American Council on Education. The student must have had the sole responsibility for teaching the course and evaluating student performance (i.e., he/she must have had faculty/ instructor status). Students applying for credit must be enrolled with the College and matriculated into a degree program.

Degree Completion Options Through Other Institutions
Several of Thomas Edison State College’s degree programs require course work that must be completed through other institutions or Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). Students should read the specific information for earning credit in their chosen area of study to determine how to fulfill the individual degree requirements.

While most students are encouraged to utilize Thomas Edison State College methods of earning credit, they may select distance learning or classroom-based courses from a number of other institutions. Such institutions must be regionally accredited, and the courses selected must satisfy Thomas Edison State College degree requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that courses taken through other institutions meet his/her degree requirements at Thomas Edison State College.

Thomas Edison State College allows students to make use of a number of independent study and distance education courses that are offered by regionally accredited colleges and universities throughout the United States. Students may make arrangements with the College’s Office of Test Administration to have their independent study and distance education course examinations proctored by Thomas Edison State College. Students also may attend regionally accredited colleges in their own communities, transferring credits they earn to their Thomas Edison State College degree program.

View Transfer Credit Procedures and Appeal Guidelines
View New Jersey Statewide Transfer and Articulation Agreement Appeals Process

View Foreign Transcript Evaluation Policies for International Students