Earning Credit for Professional Training, Licenses and Certifications

Thomas Edison State College can help you finish your degree faster by awarding you college credit for workplace training and education programs, professional licenses, certifications, certification exams, and other credentials which have been reviewed by the College's Office for Assessment of Professional and Workplace Learning (OAPWL). Reviewed training is typically offered by corporations, government agencies, labor unions, and professional associations.

View a list of academic program reviews conducted by Thomas Edison State College that are eligible for credit.

The College also accepts credits for reviews completed by the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) of the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York, or by the American Council on Education's CREDIT program. View more information on these external assessment programs.

Students may also be eligible to earn credit for military training and education. Learn more »

Applying Credit to Your College Program of Study or Transcript

At Thomas Edison State College, students may apply APR credits to any part of a degree program, including the area of study, as long as they are appropriate and do not exceed the limitation of transferable credits from any one source, and provided they successfully complete courses within the specified effective dates of the review and submit appropriate documentation. Roadmaps to specific areas of study may be recommended for programs with large credit awards, so be sure to discuss this with your College advisor.

For licenses or certificates, documentation is frequently a notarized copy of the license or certificate and a current renewal card where appropriate. Additional documentation may be required. Any notarized documentation related to an APR should be submitted along with the Student Submission of TESC-Assessed Credentials.

Those interested in using their reviewed training for college credit by enrolling in Thomas Edison State College should request the organization where they took the training send their records to:

Office of the Registrar
Thomas Edison State College
101 W. State St.
Trenton, NJ 08608-1176

Students, who wish to create a transcript of their training that has been evaluated for college credit for use with an employer or elsewhere, should submit a Non-degree Services Application for Credit Banking or by contacting the Office of Admissions at (888) 442-8372 or [email protected].

The application should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar, at the address listed above.